Living Root Bridges of Meghalaya India
This is a unique photography tour goes to the far North East of India into relatively unknown area of Meghalaya. After a short stay in Darjeeling, where we will shoot the still operational steam toy train, we'll head up to Shillong. Here, using a local guide, we'll then go and see the one off Shillong archery lottery draw. This incredible event is where the locally run lottery draw is decided by shooting arrows in to a target. We'll mix with the locals and be privileged to witness the serious event.
From Shillong we'll move on up to Cherrapunjee, one of the wettest places on earth which will be our base for exploration in to the Khasi Hills to visit the living root bridges. These incredible structures are mix of nature and mans ingenuity as tree roots are trained across river crossings and over many years are intertwined to form a natural suspension bridge.
Besides the bridges we will see and photograph there is an opportunity to hike to the amazing double root bridge but this does require a reasonable level of fitness and mobility.
This incredible trip is like no other and is ideal for photographers looking to go on an expedition that will be truly life changing.
- Travel with one of the worlds leading fine art travel photographers and a variety of skilled and knowledgable local guides.
- Visit Darjeeling, the quintessential hill station to photograph tea plantations, one of the few remaining operational steam trains in India, and the breathtaking scenery.
- Shoot the little known and unique Shillong lottery archery draw.
- Visit the East Khasi hills to photograph the incredible living root bridges.
- Meet and photograph the charming and friendly Khasi tribal people who uniquely are a matrilineal society where property and wealth are handed down from mother to daughter.
- Enjoy a well organised and well equipped trip allowing you to concentrate on photography.
- Relax and soak up the local hospitality whether sipping tea in Darjeeling or eating freshly harvested honey in the Khasi Hills.
Precise itinerary will be provided on request.
20th March - 2nd April 2017
Includes: All transport during the tour including internal flight, private jeep, single accommodation, all meals, tuition and guidance. Starting in New Delhi
Not included: flights to New Delhi, insurance, spending money, photography processing costs.